Inside Frenchie's Head

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I'm going to try my best to get better at maintining my blog. I'm well aware that folks aren't neccessarily chomping at the bit to sink their teeth into the story of my life, but what the hell? Maybe I'll never accomplish my lifelong goal of being a published writer, but thanks to the information superhighway, I can see my writing in print in some form.

Recent thoughts. After about four straight months of consistent work since going freelance, about two weeks ago the work came to a standstill. I'm still not working, and by Monday it will have been three weeks of little to no work. Have no fear, those of you who may or may not be crinkling your nose in concern. I have work lined up--too much work, in fact. I had been warned of these phases. In fact, I had been told that these times were the worst part of being a freelancer. The unexpected opportunity of having far too much time on one's hands. It's one thing when I plan for a vacation in the city, but to suddenly find myself with no work to occupy my time was quite startling indeed. I may have gone through the various stages of withdrawal, in fact. First, I was euphoric to have a free afternoon on my hands, after weeks of stapling my metaphorical balls to the wall. I made a couple trips into the city, lazed away about four afternoons perusing Elfa units at the Container Store, tried on shoes in about thirty stores in and around Union Square, spent far too much money in the itunes store, took and emailed pictures of my cat, ate lunch and read in my backyard, and actually bought my Elfa unit.

Then came the boredom, then came the panic, and then came the existential crisis. What is the meaning of all this bullshit, I asked myself night after night, tossing and turning next to the boyfriend who by his sheer existence I wanted to pick a fight with. How long do I really want to write and edit education products? The products I had boasted of only weeks before. Maybe I need to open a restuarant? Maybe I should open a bookstore? Maybe I should take off to plant trees in Vietnam. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, because I wasn't invoicing anything, I had to legislate a moratorium on all spending (except for at Container Store), so I couldn't even turn to consumer therapy to cure my woes. This time, the healing was in my own hands. After what was probably the worst day of the crisis, I was thankfully heading to Cape Cod for a five day weekend. I had no choice but to postpone faxing a request to reimbursal for the class on How to Open a Restaurant that I'd recently registered for at the New School. I guess I'd have to save yet another confrontation with my patiently understanding boyfriend for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home