Inside Frenchie's Head

Sunday, February 26, 2006

New York Part 1

Times like last night remind me that, in the end, it is most important to ride life's little white caps with an eye toward recognizing the humor inherent in every situation. I had just flown in to Logan Airport from New York, after spending a raucous 24 hours sucking the marrow out of the town...or rather having it sucked out of me. But I digress. The purpose of the whirlwind visit was to check out a 1 bedroom apartment on West 76th that a friend of my father's just happens to be moving out of when I'm moving down.

Before meeting the current tenant, Isabelle, a French lawyer, at 2pm, I took a leisurely stroll from my hotel at 44th Street to the Upper West Side. It was a breezy balmy winter day, so I grabbed a cup of coffee and meandered through Central Park up along Central Park West and then turned right onto what I hoped would be my new street. 76th is the quintessential New York City tree-lined street of Woody Allen and Edward Burns's films, as well everyone's favorite, Three Men and a Baby. As I walked, I deliriously envisioned my life as a New Yorker, walking home with my yoga mat, sipping deli coffee, fresh vegetable filled plastic bags dangling from my elbows. Never mind the fact that I haven't gone to yoga class in about a year...Then I hit Broadway and I knew I'd hit pay dirt with this possibility. Facing me was Barneys, two shoe stores in my direct line of vision, Body Shoppe and Lush. Just one block down to my right was a Filene's Basement. So, I could rationalize the purchase of a $450 gauze dress at Barneys along with various shoes to match by being sure to purchase all else at bargain prices at the Basement.

In my correspondance with Isabelle, she had been sure to tell me that the apartment was fine and liveable, but that the kitchen needed some "work." I couldn't imagine that it could be "that bad." From the outside, the building was a typical pre-war brownstone with some gothic features. I liked it. I liked it. I rang the buzzer and eagerly climbed the five flights of stairs to my new home. Isabelle greeted me at the door, we exchanged the customary French two-cheek kiss and I visually devoured the apartment. Of course, at this point, the kitchen was behind me. What I beheld was a livingroom half the size of my current one; small, but doable. Great light, street facing, high ceilings, radiator whistling. To the right, through a set of French doors was the "bedroom." Again, small but doable and could easily accomodate my bed a nightstand and dresser.

I was ready to bust out the three pay stubs, two tax returns, credit report and letters of reference, but then she showed me the kitchen. Those of you who know me know how important cooking is to my livelihood and that, unlike others, it is possible that my decision might rest on the quality of the cooking space. This is why, now, I am immersed in a skein of confusion. To be blunt, the kitchen sucks-badly. It is the size of my current pantry, which could be okay. I've done enough obsessive research to know that I ain't gonna find something as good as what I've got now, but I expected something at least better than one I'd find in pop up camper. It wasn't. The range type thing on which she was steaming her brocolli had been around since 1955 and sat crookedly on top of a mini refrigerator. Mouse and cockroach traps were nestled between this contraption and the sink. There was no cabinetry or storage space to be had and a tangled web of cords hung from a tentatively hanging electric outlet. My heart sank. She showed me that she didn't even bother to use the oven that was somehow attached to the range type thing. I started to panic, wondering how I'd cook my arugula pizzas or bake my potatoes.

For the next hour, Isabelle and I talked about the renovation possibilities. Basically, if I made the choice that I was going to call this apartment in the best neighborhood on the planet home for a few years, I could renovate it as if I owned it. I could retile the kitchen floor, buy a stove/oven unit and make the place my own. The question is, do I want to do this. I have until tomorrow to decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home