Inside Frenchie's Head

Friday, June 08, 2007

Last night I watched the Colbert report for the first time in several months. In fact, I think that the last time I watched it was when I was actually in the studio audience. In any event, in an attempt to deviate from my default channel of anything Law and Order, and as I was downloading the last of this season's Heroes from itunes, I chanced upon Comedy Central just as he was embarking on his rampage of the recent Fox news coverage of Hilary Clinton's decision to drop "Rodham"from her name. Apparently this set off some sort of fire-storm in the conservative press. Every incarnation of Fox news seemed to have something to say. I admit that it's a curious move. Why bother? Aren't there more important ways to spend your time as a politician-like admitting that you were wrong to vote to approve the war in Iraq. Apparently not.

Colbert then proceeded on a diatribe that included commentary on Chris Matthews's assessment of Hilary's recent donning of a string of pearls as classic Grace Kelley, and an article in the Baltimore Sun in which the writer descibed Nancy Pelosi's bright yellow pant suit as "smart." My favorite moment, however, was when he queried why the press doesn't give equal focus to regard for men's fashion. The zinger of the evening, however, was when he contrasted all this news on female politicians with a comment regarding Giuliani. As he pointed out that even though Giuliani is on his third marriage, HE has never changed his name, the words "to September 11th" flashed across the screen. So perfectly put. It returns to my point that any good politician who was mayor of NYC at that time had damn well better have handled the situation with grace. Giuliani just happened to be in office at the time.

This leads me to want to discuss more in regard to politics. The other night I was dining on Ethiopian food with some gal pals when we meandered into the terrain of the 2008 election. We discussed why, at such an early date, there was already so much focus on campaigning. My answer: because we have a black man and a white woman at the top of the polls. The primaries to elect the democratic candidate are almost going to merit as much focus and thought and consideration as the presidential election itself. Not, I might add, that I would ever entertain voting for a Republica, so, for me, there will not be too much consideration. At this point, the question of the hour or for the next 6 months, is who can win the presidential race? Hillary? John? or Barack?

I pointed out that my favorite candidate at this time is John Edwards. My friends were somewhat surprised. Why? Stay tuned for the next entry in which I share my feelings and points in regard to Hilary, Barack, and John, and why I feel that John is the best choice overall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home