Inside Frenchie's Head

Sunday, April 09, 2006

I've been on hiatus and apparently a couple of you have noticed. Interesting. The move is moving along. 21 days from today...that's three weeks for those of you who are mathematlically challenged, I will be moving to the Upper West Side of New York City. I will be living out a dream that I've had since I was young. When I was a senior in high school, I wrote a short story in which the protagonist was an interior designer, living and working in New York City, zipping from client to client in a VW Beetle. At that point, I dreampt of going to NYU and pursuing and education and eventual career in journalism. I was accepted, but, alas, I ended up a creative writing major at Emerson College. Things happen the way they are meant to, I'm confident of that, but I often wonder where and what I would be if I'd been able to pursue this dream 16 years ago. I'm sure I wouldn't be the woman who I am today. Is that a good thing? I have to believe that it is.

Time is a funny thing. Four months ago, I decided that it was time for me to move to NYC. I would move no matter what. I would freelance; I would live in a one room studio; I would do what I had to to finally make a change for me, of my choosing. Shortly after that I had my first meeting with serendipity. This meeting was in the form of an announcement on the snowy Monday morning of January 16, a morning I'd taken as a personal day. I took the news that my entire department is being relocated via a conference call. I immediately knew that I would take advantage of this offer the moment the announcement was made. It's been almost three months from that day. At times it feels like six years; at others it feels like six months have passed. Now it's three weeks until I move. That means that in four weeks I will be rounding out my first weekend as an official NYC resident. When I think about a month from now, I think about where I was a month ago, what has happened, if anything, what I've accomplished, how my emotions have waxed and waned, upon what I've obsessed on any given day. Timing is a funny thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home